The Cat and the Bear

The Cat and the Bear
Charlie and his bear pal!

Ex-Pat to Re-Pat

Welcome to my countdown to repatriation!

After living in Athens, Greece for the lion's share of two decades I am on my way back to settle again in the land of my birth, Wales. I have a cat so that makes things a bit more complicated. Those of you in the same boat will know that you need a pet passport to take a pet into the UK, and that procedure takes at least 7 months. So, I decided to get the major removal upheaval over with and left Athens in January to winter on the island of Corfu. This is where my Greek odyssey began so I am very happy to have this chance to 'close the circle'.

So far I have focused on enjoying Corfu but the days are flying by and my mind is turning more and more towards Wales. This is starting to bring up issues and concerns about living in a new country. Yes, despite the fact that I was born in Wales and have visited regularly, after all this time of living away, it will be rather 'foreign' to me. I suppose that fellow ex-pats will appreciate more than anyone else what I am talking about. I would be very happy to hear from you!!

Thanks everyone for your encouragement so far in this adventure!
Love and light!
Teresa

Saturday 12 February 2011

Hyena and Spring Flowers - 83 Days and Counting!


Today is once again warm and sunny and even warmer than yesterday because there is hardly any wind. This means that the sea – only yards from me – is calm and merely murmuring.

Charlie has been sunbathing on the balcony for a couple of hours – first on the table (naughty boy!) then on the chair facing the sea; my chair, but I’ve been busy with domestic stuff. I came onto the balcony to hang a little washing on my clothes horse (remember those?!) and as I walked past Charlie he languidly stretched out and hooked my trousers with one claw. This, of course, stopped me in my tracks. 
“What?” I asked him.
“Meow, meow, meow, meow,” he whined. (Cat language for, “Why aren’t you out here keeping me company” I presumed.)
“Okay, I’ll come and join you,” I assured him and he retracted his claw. It was time for breakfast anyway.

In a short time I was back bearing a tray of freshly brewed coffee, a warm croissant set on a plate along with a blob of cherry jam and knob of (real) butter.  I savoured all along with my gorgeous sea view.

Today the sea is a ruffle of pale petrol blue edged in white lace as it rustles on beige sand. The beach is inviting but I plan to walk there later in the day. For now I have more pressing things to do such as go and pick spring flowers for my little dining room table. Oh, and phone a couple of friends in Athens from the phone box down the road using the new card I bought yesterday. (It costs a fortune phoning from my mobile and I hope to enjoy a nice long chat instead of a garbled “hey how are you, yes I’m fine, bye” few minutes.

As I stepped into the sunshine my doggy friend Hyena (the woman who adopted her thought that’s what she looked like and the name has stuck) was waiting for me. She has been accompanying me on my walks for about 3 weeks now and it’s nice! So, she came with me to the telephone where I wasted about fifteen minutes trying in vain to get through to anyone. Part of the problem is that the number 3 key is faulty and you have to keep pressing and pressing it until it works and all my phone numbers contained a 3.

I gave up in the end.

As I started walking back home alone - I thought Hyena had left me; didn’t blame her – she came bounding out of a courtyard and we resumed our little walk. On the way I picked some delicate lilac flowers and some small orange daisy-like ones and some white daisies too. Fortunately it’s not necessary to know what flowers are called to enjoy them and they made a cheerful posy.

Yes, it is a day when a smile is on my lips the whole time. And the perfect day for thinking about projects…

2nd May 23 


An update:
I did not know Hyena for long as the next post shows. But, she lives on as a character in my novel. I called her Hygeia - which is the name of the ancient goddess of health. 

My debut novel, Angel at the Paradise Hotel,  recently launched which is set in Corfu and I think you will love it! Find all the details here.       

               
* For those of you familiar with San Stefanos, Avliotes (see above) - the novel is based on this resort but fictionalized. In other words, though I feature the fabulous beach and Z shape of the resort, I have added in lots of other aspects from my imagination - including the Paradise Hotel! And all the characters are imaginary.

Set on the green and beautiful Greek island of Corfu in this novel I show the ever-present backstory of life, as I interpret the supernatural elements of our dilemmas and choices. 

I know, that no matter what your beliefs or experiences, you will surely recognize the tussles of my characters, as tussles in your own life....  Enjoy!

Click on the following links to check out my novel, Angel at the Paradise Hotel In UK /  In US / In Singapore

Available as a Kindle version or paperback!


Actually, please see below the details of my other two books.

I have been asking God for guidance and listening to His replies for many years. I share my methods in Pray Then Listen, A heart-to-heart with God.

Check out Pray Then Listen In UK / In US  / In Singapore

Available as a Kindle version or paperback! 


I wrote 9 Days to Heaven, How to make everlasting meaning of your life as my personal evangelization effort.  

Check out 9 Days to Heaven In UK / In US / In Singapore 

Available as a Kindle version or paperback!


Here is the link for the YouTube book trailer:  9 Days to Heaven 

For articles, plus more info about me and my work please visit my website.  (www.teresaodriscoll.co.uk)

Blessings,

Teresa x

PS. About the links to Singapore, please see my blog post Singapore and Christianity  

1 comment:


  1. Thank you for sharing, I found very useful info here, I was delighted to find this web site. excellent posy.

    ReplyDelete